Chinnor 20, London Irish Wild Geese 35

The New Year saw the Geese travel to top of the table Chinnor at Kingsey Road this weekend. With Chinnor being the only unbeaten side in the league to date it was a tall order for the Geese to come out on top, but come out on top they did, being the first team to not only beat Chinnor this season but to also break a two-year unbeaten home record in the process.

The game started off hotly contested as the Geese went out to prove a point after the Redingensians game before Christmas, with collisions being hard. The big telling point that the Geese were up for a battle was their impressive line speed in defence, as even with 65-70% of possession in the first half, the hosts who have a high possession-points conversion, only managed to score one converted try and a penalty to show for their efforts. The Geese on the other hand seemed to really be up for a fight, hitting rucks hard and not giving the league leaders a minute to breathe. When they did have the ball, it didn’t take long for in-form left wing George Owen to carve up four defenders and offload for scrumhalf Dan Grant-Adamson to put the other in form right wing, Reon Joseph, in for one of the best scored tries this year. Outhalf Alex Seers added the other two making it 10 points to 7 for the hosts at half time.

The second half saw the Geese with a bit more possession which allowed Owen to add to his impressive try tally by chasing down a kick from fullback Peter Hodgekinson to score his first of the New Year. Chinnor answered back with a rolling maul try to make it 15-14 with only 10 minutes gone in the second half. The hosts looked shook, realising this was not the same team they had beaten at the start of the season, as tight head prop Ziana Alexis carried his way over the line after one of the longer periods of possession for the Geese to put them 15-21 points up.

The tries didn’t stop coming with Owen striking again as he spotted a big gap in the back field of Chinnor, chipped and collected to touch down again and putting the Geese up 15-28. The final try for the Geese come from a quick turnover in the Chinnor 22 for the former Chinnor player centre Charles Broughton putting the final nail in the coffin and put the Geese up 15-35 up with Seers 100% conversion rate and only 5 mins to go in the game. The Hosts had one last push in them as they dove over from a quick tap penalty to make the final score Chinnor 20-35 London Irish Wild Geese.

A great win and a great way to start off 2018.

London Irish Wild Geese
1. Charlie Connor
2. Brad Clements
3. Ziana Alexis
4. Sam Hobbins
5. Scott Moore (Captain)
6. Pat White
7. Tyler Bush
8. Harry Rowland
9. Daniel Grant-Adamson
10. Alex Seers
11. George Owen
12. Charlie Broughton
13. Chris Hitchcock
14. Reon Joseph
15. Peter Hodgekinson

16. Billy Fowler
17. Zaki Chamnaoui
18. George Drye
19. Archie Mackay
20. Freddie Bunting