Bury St. Edmunds 35, London Irish Wild Geese 24

After the week break for the Geese all focus was on the away fixture to Bury St. Edmunds where the Geese looked to kick on from their triumph over Taunton two weeks ago. The Geese squad saw some changes due to injuries and injury returns for second row George Drye, scrumhalf (Disco) Dan Grant-Adamson and backrow Pat White.

The Game started off well with left wing George Owen adding to his ever growing try tally (17 tries in 12 games) to put the Geese in front after only 4 mins. The early lead was cut to 2-points from a penalty kick making it 3-5 to the Geese after 10 mins of play. However, minutes later the hosts capitalised on a lineout malfunction by the Geese to score their first try of the afternoon putting them in the lead by 10-5. The Geese retook the lead after 25 mins by pushing over the line for loose-head George Dean to score and for outhalf Seers to convert, making it 10-12 in favour of the Geese.

Yet again the hosts found themselves in the lead and the found themselves a man down after 35 mins as tight-head Zaki Chamnaoui was sin-binned for an infringement in a scrum under the Geese sticks giving the referee no option but to award a penalty try and show a yellow. The hosts again capitalised on a Geese lineout error to score in the corner to put them 22-12 up nearing the break but another blow before the break was to come as another yellow was shown to right wing Reon Joseph for a tackle in the air, forcing the Geese to finish out the half with only 14 men.

The second half did not start great for the Geese as they coughed up two early tries for the hosts to increase their lead to 32 points to 12. However, the Geese did not give up, as newly returning scrumhalf Dan Grant-Adamson darted around a ruck after some good go-forward carries to touch down. The hosts took another shot at goal for another penalty given away in the Geese 22 to hopefully put themselves out of reach of the re-energised Geese. However, another returning player second row George Drye touched down in the corner for the Geese and outhalf Seers converted to make it 35-24 with 10 mins left. Unfortunately the Geese couldn’t catch the hosts as the comeback was left too late.

On the bright side, another bonus point was claimed away from home allowing the Geese to come away with something for their efforts.